Monday, June 23, 2008

Sunday Morning Outing - June 22, 2008

Got a late start this morning but I did get out. Packed up bike, cameras, tripod and scope and made my way to Pte Mouillee. Before getting to Sigler Road where I start my bike ride I decided to check out Campau Road, for me it seems that when I take this ride I always see something for the first time and today was no different. While driving down the road there's a bird in the highest part of the tree - curious I stop and park the vehicle and grab my Canon and step out. I raise my camera and point it to the top of the tree only to find that it's a Cedar Waxwing. This is a first for me. I have seen pictures but have never seen one. Happy with at least this one photo I headed on to Sigler Road. On my way now I find two Blue Winged Teals swimming and eating in Bloody Run along with two Mallards. Had difficulty digiscoping today - too much glare - no good eye sight - but I tried. As I head down the path I ran into Todd Palgut who mentioned that he had seen a Black Necked Stilt but lost it when the stilt crouched down. Informed me that Mary Trombley was up ahead and heading for Cell 3. Wished each other luck and I was on the path again.

As I reached the Vermet Unit there was Mary scoping the Osprey in the Lead Unit. The Black Terns were flying over the Vermet so we stopped to see if I could grab a couple of shots. There wasn't much at Cell 3 when we got there. I did manage to get a few shots of a Viceroy and a Red Admiral, which Mary helped identify. We headed back down the center path where we then parted. Mary had to leave and I decided to hang out a while to see if I could get a few more pictures of the Black Terns.


I decided to take back the path between Vermet and Long Pond just in case there was anything of interest out there. I decided to continue around the Northern Causeway. There I fond Pied-billed Grebes nesting along with a few American Coots and a few more Moorhens. Along that path I managed to get a photo of a Clouded or Common Sulfur and a cluster of Cabbage Whites pretending to be flowers in the gravel. To the left of me there were a couple of Great Scaups and a couple of Redheads. In the open field I got a photo of a male Baltimore Oriole. At this point it was about 12:30 and I decided to head home.

After loading up my vehicle I decided to make one last run down Campau Road. That's was my day - sorry it wasn't more exciting but I really went out just to get away. Til my next post.

No comments: