Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pte. Mouillee - June 15th

Took a ride out to Pte. Mouillee this morning around 7:30. Temperature was decent and there was a slight breeze. I started out at Sigler Road and took the path between Bloody Run and Long Pond. The path is filled with Fish-flies and Dragon flies flying about. My first sighting was of two Black-necked Stilts. In the pond with them was a Great Egret and a Kildeer. As I made my way down the path checking both sides so I wouldn't miss anything were two Blue-winged Teals on the bank. The ponds are full of Geese and their young, there was even a family of Mute Swans on a small mound. Mama and babies were sleeping while dad stood watch.

I made my way through the Vermet Unit and the Lead unit where I set up my scope to watch the Osprey for awhile. Mom and dad were both standing watch over their family, near as I could tell there were two - possibly three. The ponds had quite a bit of water fowl, Mallards, American Coots, Cormorants, Mergansers, Pied-billed Grebe, along with a number of Blue Herons and Great Egrets. For being the only person out there it was rather noisy and peaceful.
I kept traveling til I reached Cell 3 where the Geese and the Gulls were resting along with the Common and Caspian Terns. There's a Willet wading in the water as well. Started to make my way to Cell 2 but the fish flies and dragon flies were just a bit too much so I decided to head back to my vehicle. As I make my way back to my right is a deer who watches me til I am a gtood distance away from him. I make another stop to view the Osprey one more time and then I'm on my way. I decided to take the path between Long Pond and the Vermet unit just in case there something new. As I make my way back to my vehicle I stop to take a picture of a Black Swallowtail that is fluttering through the tall grasses. I took several photos with my Canon but decided to try and digiscope a few as well with my Fuji Finepix. I will say it was difficult but managed a few good ones.
Well that's about it for now. Heading over to Campau Road before I go home. So til my next post.

No comments: