Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Just Playing Catch Up - May 28th

Let's see how I do on playing catch up. First let me apologize for the time lapse - I got a new lap top with a 17" wide screen so I could view my pictures at home better. Since my last post I haven't been to too many places. I walked the grounds of the Ford Estate last Friday (the 23rd) and then moved my way down to the Nature Trail. It's been a while since I've been on the Estate and forgot just how pretty this place really is. The falls behind the house are pretty and they give you a refreshing feeling and if you can remember it was rather warm that day so the breeze from the falls was welcomed.
I moved from the estate to the Nature Trail where I did get a picture of a Gray Catbird. (Sorry about the branch across its face I was just happy to get this.) The last time I was down the trail I got a photo of the May Apple with its single apple - this time though it had a blossom on it. The Painted Turtles are all sunning themselves on the logs and there's a Green Frog. There's an ugly (but large) Snapping Turtle on a box while a Painted Turtle is taking advatage of the sun. There's a couple of Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks (male and female) going from branch to branch. When I got the end of the trail I walked behind the building of the Nature Trail and just sat on the curb to watch the birds. Amazing how one bird will let this one perch and eat but will chase another off. Well that's enough for this day can't wait til tomorrow.
For the Memorial Weekend I went up north with all the intentions of going to The Wildlife Refuge in Mio to see if I could capture a photo of the Kirkland Warbler; sadly my plans didn't go the way I wanted and I never got there. The trip wasn't a wash though a couple of weeks ago I told my significant other that we should clean this one particular bird house out because if the squirrel was still in there the Great Crested Flycatcher wouldn't have a place to make their nest. Much to my surprise he did clean it out when he went up. When we got up there Saturday there they were making their nest. I have never seen two birds work together or so closely as to accomplish this task. The woods were full of their very clear - strong and excited "quitta - queeto" "queep" and "KRREEP".

For the first time in the ten years going up north I saw a hummingbird. And quickly as it fluttered in - it fluttered away. Since this sighting (hopefully not too late) I hung my Hummingbird feeder in the apple tree. I spotted the Pileated Woodpecker on Sunday early afternoon and hoped that I could get a photo but she never came to my blind. Monday morning however, was different. She made her presence known. She seems to like this one tree near my blind - and to accommodate I have drilled holes approximately 1-1/4" and fill them with suet plugs which she seems to enjoy. Before we leave to go home I took a walk down one of the back paths in the approximate area that I saw the Pileated Woodpecker land on the ground. Looking up in the trees I found one with a rather large opening at the top. Maybe - just maybe this could be a nest - guess I'll just keep watching and keep you updated if I see anything or not. In the meantime here's a peek of the opening - what do you think?

Well this was my catch up. Until my next post.

No comments: