Friday, February 19, 2010

Tundras and a Red-tail - February 18, 2010

Had a doctors appointment yesterday and all the way driving there I had talked myself into not taking advantage of the sun. By the time I had gotten home I ran in and gathered up my camera and headed over to Pte Moo HQ. No real activity there - Mute Swans - Common Mergansers a couple of Eagles flying in the distance. At the gate the usual massive amounts of Cardinals and American Tree Sparrows and a Northern Harrier flew ovehead.

After about an hour there I decided to head over to LEMP and make a trip down to the boat launch. There I found Buffleheads, Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers and Goldeneye. In the distance close to the homes behind the restrooms were Tundras - there were these four that I watched for a while as they started to "kwooo" and then flap their wings. At first I thought they were getting ready to fly away but instead it seemed like all they wanted to do is play.

Before going home I decised to take a little spin through the parking lot of the museum and see if there were any Cedar Waxwings hanging around. (Saturday I caught a couple of shots as they sat in the thick of the bushes eating what berries were left.) Nothing there to take a photo of I decided to head home.


As I was leaving the park I noticed in the grass off to the right a Red-tail sitting. I pulled my vehicle up a bit and decided to get out and try to get a shot. Starting from the back of the vehicle I fired off a few frames and kept shooting in that manner as I kept walking slower and slower in its direction. I managed to get in front of it and fire off a few more frames before he decided to take off. Im sure am glad I decided to take advantage of the sun. Til my next post.

1 comment:

Jerry Jourdan said...

Patricia,
I love the Red-tail! Terrific shot!
Jerry