Thursday, April 2, 2009

Nature Trail @ LEMP - 03/27/2009

Since the weekend was calling for rain and then snow I decided to take advantage of the sun and head over to Lake Erie Metro Park. It's been reported that both Great Horned Owl families have had two babies each and wanted to see if I could catch a look at at least one of the families. As I walked along the trail I caught a glimpse of mom sitting in a tree not far from her babies. I had hoped that since I got out there about two that if I was still there around five she would had ventured in to feed these adorable feather dusters, but no luck. With the temperatures starting to drop I decided to call it a day and possibly head back out Saturday - weather permitting.

After my workout at the "Y" I decided to take advantage one more time of the sun and head back out to LEMP. I was greeted by this Tree Swallow sitting very quietly on a post - he sat very still while I photographed him. When I got to the Nature Trail I decided to start my walk from the entrance on the left and walk slowly around. The birds were definitely vocal this morning and there was activity on both sides of the trail, but would the banches get in the way. Of course they would. Anyway I did manage to get these shots of a Fox Sparrow, Brown Creeper and this deer that was sleeping under the tree that the Brown Creeper was traveling on.

Next stop to see if the babies were moving around, unfortunately they were sleeping with mom and dad in trees not to far from them. Since they were sleeping I decided to take a little stroll - when I got back mom was in the nest with her babies. Twenty minutes is all it took for my stroll - if I would have stayed around I could have caught mom flying into the nest or not - I'll never know and you just can't tell what's going to happen next. All in all it was fun watching them moving around, stretching and nuzzling with mom.

Til my next post.

No comments: