Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Priceless Moment - 04/19/2009

Saturday I went out to see if I could catch a sunrise and photograph it with my new lens. Recently I purchased Canon's EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM lens and since the sun was shining Saturday I thought it would be a great day for photos. I drove over to Pte Mouillee (Campau Road) parked and watched the sunrise. The water was like a sheet of glass and the colors forming across it as the sun began to rise were gorgeous. I hung around for about an hour and then headed over to Lake Erie Metro Park to check on the Great Horned Owl baby. When I was there on Friday baby would take a couple steps forward as if he was thinking about jumping - then he would step back - so I didn't know what I was going to see on Saturday. When I got to the outlook deck as far as I could tell there was no one in the nest. On a tree not too far away was mom, possibly watching her baby on the ground (if that's where he was). In an attempt to find a spot on the trail to get a picture - mom took off and disappeared. With no sight of her afterwards - and with a lot of things waiting for me to do I headed home.

Sunday - Inspite of the weather this morning I decided to go out to Lake Erie Metro Park and take a gander. Sitting on a branch just above but a bit behind the hollow was an owl. As I kept looking all I could think was "there was too much downy for it to be an adult." After watching for about an hour I decided to take a ride down to the boat launch. With nothing going on I headed back to the nature trail. Standing back on the overlook I now could see that it was indeed the baby sitting on the branch and mom was now inside the hollow. I watched baby move itself across the branch and with wings outstretched (as if he was doing a balancing act) move to another branch. I watched in anticipation to see what would happen next but was more afraid that he/she would make the wrong move and possibly fall so I began to walk away. A little ways down the trail I turned around and headed back - then told myself "no". After a couple turn arounds I headed back to the overlook only to notice that mom was out of the nest and sitting on the tree across from the nest - unfortunately by the time I reached the deck mom was sitting on the branch slightly lower than her fledgling.

I watched mom offer her baby what appeared to be the tail end of a fish, baby took and struggled with it, mom reached to grab it and like any kid hestitated in letting mom have it back. The baby finally did surrender his meal. I watched mom rip pieces of the meal and feed it to her baby. I watched her do this several times - every now and then she would stop and look at me to see if I was still around. With the last look she gave me I felt that I better leave and let her feed her baby in peace. As I walked away I suddenly felt overcomed by what I had just witnessed.

Although the day wasn't clear enough to get a good photo - what I witnessed in the sight of my camera lens was crystal clear and priceless. Definitely a moment I will not forget.

Til my next post.

No comments: