Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pt. Mouille - Campau Rd - April 11

A couple of weeks ago I started getting equipment to learn how to digiscope. With my coworker Jerry Jourdan (who by the way takes some beautiful pictures) is guiding me through this process. I have a Nikon Fieldscope 50m ED and a FUJI FinePicF50SE and to attach my camera to my scope I have a piece of PVC pipe - lined with a little velcro to keep the camera attached to the scope.

Today I decided to take advantage of the afternoon since the call was for storms tonight, Saturday and then snow on Sunday. So I took a ride out to Pt Mouille - Campau Road where the first creek that you come to was filled with Great Egrets. He was standing still and he was big enough for me to see not only through my scope but in my camera's viewfinder. So I began to snap away. Before I got a chance to set up my scope I noticed swimming towards him a Double-crested Cormorant so I snapped his photo with my Canon Rebel. As most subjects they don't stick around long and if they come back up it's usually not in the same area.

I traveled down the road some more to check out the other spots along the way. In the creek before the gates were two mallards (male and female) and a Double-crested Cormorant. Believe it had to be the same one because when he disappeared the first time I saw him - he never came back up (at least not in that area.). Of course he disappeared right away so there was no picture this time. While standing on the little bridge I noticed a Belted Kingfisher but he didn't stay in one spot long enough for a photo.

I packed up and moved to the lake where swimming by himself was a Pied Billed Grebe but he submerged as I drove by and where they come back up no one really knows. I stuck around for a while with scope set up and camera armed but this little guy just refused to make his presence known. As I drove out through the gates there he was swimming with the mallards - managed to get off a few shots.
The frogs in this area are quite loud but I haven't seen one yet. As I approached the little bridge again I pulled over and pulled out my scope and set it up. There's always something going on in that area. There's always Heron hanging around but today the fish were jumping out of the water. You probably don't believe me on that one and it happened so fast that I couldn't get a shot and didn't have my Canon readily on me. Spotted a Northern Flicker - couldn't get a photo he was on the ground in the growth instead of on the tree. I did manage to get a photo of the Belted Kingfisher (not a very good picture - but none the less a picture). Other than seeing them in a book this is the first time I've seen one up front.
Well my day has come to an end for now and I must do other things now. So until tomorrow (weather permitting) will make another entry.


No comments: