Friday, March 7, 2008

Elizabeth Park - February 10, 2008


According to the Wildlife Research and Development Section in Peterborough, Ontario: "Approximately 7000-8000 Canadian Geese are banded annually. This takes place in northern Ontario and James Bay to enable wildlife agencies to track movements, estimate survival, monitor harvest and plan for substainable populations of geese. The banding is supported by the states and provinces of the Mississippi and Atlantic Flyway Councils and the federal governments of the US and Canada."

Recently on one of my visits to Elizabeth Park in Trenton I came upon one of these geese. Curious about his collar and not knowing who to contact I wrote to the Parks and Recreation Department in Trenton and told them of my siting.

My email reached approximately 5 pairs of eyes and the report although minimal was interesting.

My goose was banded as a young adult on July 28, 2000 at Akimiski Island, James Bay, Nunavut in the degree block of 5310 8120. The federal band number is 0948-06303. His neck collar is orange with the tag T8C1. He's old fella for agoose - approximately 9 years old.
Research has told me that there are different color of collars. My collared fella has an orange collar which means he travelled the Mississippi Flyway - so he traveled from Akimiski Island due south to the southeast corner of Michigan. Had it been blue it would have meant that he traveled the Atlantic Flyway.

I check on this guy every two weeks to see how he's doing and to see if he's still there. He is - getting along well with all the other geese that have decided to make a visit to Elizabeth Park.

Further research told me that there are different color of collars. My collared fella has an orange collar which means he travelled the Mississippi Flyway, had it been blue it would have meant that he traveled the Atlantic Flyway.


To learn more about birds and bird banding, see the web page at http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl







No comments: