Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lake Erie Metro Park - 11/24/2009

Since I haven't been out looking since my lst post I decided to call it a day at work and head out to LEMP to see if the Redpolls that had been reported earlier were still there. I took the path that lead down to the boat launch along the lake side (because that was where they were seen) and didn't find any. The water in the distance was filled with Mute Swans and ducks. I came across a couple of White-throat Sparrows flying from branch to branch along the lake eating the berries that were on the snow covered ground. Three American Goldfinch were picking away at the seeds in the cones on the tree opposite the walkway and just up ahead before you reach the launch was a Carolina Wren chirping away while going from one nook and cranny to another.

The waters near the launch had Mute Swans, Buffleheads, Mallards, Golden Eyes, Mergansers and an American Coot. A young Bald Eagle made an apprearance and caught his dinner and then flew off to the other end of the path. I tried to get a picture but just as he made an appearance someone came up to ask me a question and not to be rude I stopped to answer her. I met up with the young Eagle again but when he took off from the branches above a large tree as I turned to snap the shot I turned only to have a tree block my shot.

Saturday morning I decided to head again especially since the sun was out. First stop was Pte Mouillee HQ to see if anything was going on out there. With the lake frozen there wasn't much happening. Now over to LEMP where I learned there are two families of nesting Horned Owls. I haven't been able to find the one but did find the other. After finding the owls nest I continued my walk around the trail and came across a very cooperative Hermit Thrush who actually let me take quite a few shots of it. Deciding to turn back around and return in the direction I started I stopped one more time to take a look and see if I could get a better view of the owl. I wished I had brought my scope on this walk - but it's hard enough walking with a camera and a 500mm lens on the snow on this trail and after taking a fall on the other trail the day before - I didn't want to take the chance. Heading out I heard the chirping of the Carolina Wren who also was very cooperative and I took several shots of it as well.
After being out for about 4 hours I decided to make one more stop before going home and that was at Elizabeth Park where I got a shot of a Red-bellied Woodpecker. As I was leaving - just at the exit there were eight deer grazing on a bundle of hay/alfafa that was in the fenced off area just before you exit the park. The day was cold and very rewarding - til my next post.

No comments: