Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year - Day Two - 1/2/09

Unlike my friend Jerry my first photo for 2009 happened to be a Pigeon, the bird was sitting on a wire and because it was big and I really couldn't see I snapped a shot. My next shot however would definitely be a keeper. While travelling down Jefferson just as you go through the light at King Road I spotted a Hawk, I turned around and parked in the turn lane with flashers going and managed to catch this photo of a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Next stop would be Sterling State Park where there was no activity that I could see, so I moved on to Pte. Mouillee (Roberts Rd) where I caught up with Jerry. There we chit chatted for a while and then continued what we were doing. With nothing there I went on to Campau Road. The waters were full of Seagulls and Mute Swans and four other little characters 2 Common Golden Eyes (males) and one female and a Bufflehead. Tried to digiscope these guys but the wind picked up and it made it a little difficult to focus in. None the less a good sight.

My next stop would be Lake Erie Metro Park where right after you pass through the gate was an American Kestrel perched on a tree. I pilled over and again put on my flashers and just snapped away, for a moment I thought I was going to lose him because he flew down to the ground and to my surprise returned to the tree only on a top branch. Nothing else was spotted so I decided to head on home.
While going home I decided it wouldn't hurt to make just one more stop so I headed on over to the River at Southfield and Jefferson, there the waters were full of Common Mergansers, Mallards and a couple of Common Golden Eyes.

Well that was my adventure for the first outing of the New Year - til my next post.

No comments: