Saturday, November 22, 2008

Worth Taking The Chance - 11-21-08

The weather report said 19 degrees - partly cloudy and the high by 5:00 was only going to be 28. Knowing that the only thing I needed to do today was enter time I decided to take the day off and go over to Lake Erie Metro Park, entering everyone's time could wait til noon. Before going to LEMP I a stop off first at Campau Road. The only activity on the lake are the gulls and all they're doing is either sitting on the frozen water or diving where it's not. There are two Pied-bill Grebes, one where the boats launch and one to the south of the parking lot. There's also a female Bufflehead on that side, tried to get a photo but all I have with me is my Canon and 500mm lens - picture wasn't close enough to post. Next stop Lake Erie Metro Park.

When get to LEMP the first thing I ususally do is drive through the park to the marina only to scan the trees for Hawks and Eagles. There's nothing going but on my return there are two Red-tail Hawks sitting on a branch together. Since I don't have my tri-pod I can't digiscope these two so I back my vehicle up to the gate without disturbing them, not a smart idea but none the less an idea. I did take a few shots of the two before they decide to fly off. As I pull back onto the road I can see something large and white sitting in another tree. I tried to get as close as I could so I parked my vehicle and walked across the street trying to get some shots along the way. I guess I took too many steps at a point because he screamed at me turned his back and then flew off. Oh well I tried and there will be another time.
Off to the Marshland Museum where on the road side the deer are out and grazing - four ahead of me, two as I make the turn to the museum and then there were three that I came upon on my walk thru the trail. In the four hours that I was out I will have taken 1500 pictures of which alot will be deleted for one reason or another. My photos will consist of the cooperative to the not so cooperative. I saw a Gold-crowned Kinglet, White-throat Sparrow and a Black-eyed Junco, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, House Finch (male & female), European Starlings, Rusty Blackbird, an American Tree Sparrow, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Cardinals (male & female). I'd say a very productive day. Til my next post.






No comments: