Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Weather - Good Reason To Get Away - Nov. 5, 2008

The weather report this morning said today wasn't going to be as nice as yesterday (71) but it was going to be up there (70). When I got to work this morning I found myself writing an email that said if all went well and with the weather being 70 I was out of there by 10:30. Okay so it was 11:00 but I was out of there, went home to grab my cameras and head out to Pte Mouillee - Campau Road. The only birds I found out on Campau Road were Robins so I decided to head over to Lake Erie Metro Park. The walk around the Nature Trail gave me a picutre of an American Tree Sparrow and a nice walk so I decided to make a run over to U of M Dearborn Campus and walk the Nature Trail there.

As you walk the trail and it takes along the lake you come to an open field (Jensen's Meadow) from here there are some little paths that will lead you to a number of spots on Henry Ford's property. As I approached the meadow there was a lot of tick - tick - tick along the bushes, there were about six Dark-eyed Junco flying through the thickets and one flew over head and landed on the grass. I managed to get a few shots of the little guy before he flew off. Not far from him was the entrance to a little path that will take you to the Lily Pond on the Mansion grounds as I approached the opening I could here a dihlip in the trees. I approached the trees very cautiously to see if I could find the bird making the noise. When I finally find him I snapped away - it's not until I get home that I found out that I had a picture of a Carolina Wren.

I continued to walk around the lake where there is a lot of sounds I just don't know what they all are yet. I heard a Cardinal and the Nuthatch but didn't see them til I was about to leave the trails. On the North end of the Lake are Mr & Mrs Mallard and a Painted Turtle taking advantage of the sun. As I said I can here the sounds at that point you stop and wait for movement. As I reach the end of the trail four Red-bellied Woodpeckers are playing in the taller bushes in front of me. Above me where I stoppped to take the photo is a nest that one of the females flew up to. I continued my walk which took me right to the feeders where there is a lot of activity.

Well it's was soon close to 4:00 and I wanted to make one more stop at the mansion to see if there might be anything there. I didn't take a long walk just around to see if the falls were running. On the way back to my vehicle I can here little see -see sounds. I scoped the tree out very closely and suddenly there she is - a little thing - and of course the leaves on the tree seem to be larger than she is. She's at the very top jumping from branch to branch never in a good spot to take a picture - but I can wait sooner or later she has to give in. Finally I get my shot, actually I got a couple - a Golden-crowned Kinglet, definitely worth the wait and now it's time to go home. Til my next post.

No comments: