Thursday, July 3, 2008

In Memory of Nutmeg - 1992-2008

Today - June 20th I had to make a decision that has left me empty and broken hearted. Today I put my companion of 16 years to her rest. Nutmeg came to me when she was 8 weeks old. She was a little ball of orange fur whose tail was so long that when she laid down she could wrap her tail around her and still touch her butt with the tip. She would sleep along side me with my arm wrapped around her for the 16 years of her life. Her purring at night was relaxing and seem to make problems lighten so I could fall asleep. She definitely had a calming affect. She was with me through a divorce, a move into a new house. She comforted me when my mom passed away and then my dad. She has always greeted me at the door when I came home and yelled at me when her litter box needed cleaning. Nutmeg was diagnosed with Diabetes last January and needed two shots a day. She started out at one unit twice a day but in the last six months she's needed 15 units twice a day. In the past couple of months she developed problems with having a bowel movement and needed to have enimas within a month apart and an anal extraction in between. There were options to consider but to see her go through all of this just didn't seem fair and there were no promises that this would cure the problem. So with all my love and a broken heart I made the decision to put her to rest. She is now in a better place and no more discomfort. She will be missed more than anyone can ever imagine.I will always love you Nutmeg.With all my heart, Mommy

1 comment:

kskanady said...

I'm so sorry about your loss.

It was nice to meet you this weekend. Your pictures are gorgeous. You should definitely sell them!

By the way, there were two more dead birds in our pond when we got home last night. That's a total of 10 now. :-(