Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Beautiful Night 7/09/08

Decided to take advantage of the beautiful evening we had Wednesday night. Went over to Pte Mouillee and decided to ride up the center causeway. Dragonflies and damselflies flying about, a Monarch has got my attention but doesn't give an inch to allow me to take a photo or two. There are two black snakes sunning on the gravel - they look like old tires. There's a couple of ducks on the left of me and the birds are all in the reeds - all is quiet. I traveled through checking out both sides and seeing nothing. When I get to the cross sections of Lead Unit, Vermet and Long Pond I set my scope to scan the areas surrounding. The Egrets are plenty with a few Blue Herons here and there. American Coots here and there and everywhere along with some Capian Terns, Common Terns and Black Terns. In the Lead Unit I can see the Osprey and her two babies on the perch and the multitude of ducks swimming around. Noticing the sun is just about to go down I decided to head over to Campau Road to see if I can get a photo of the Indigo Bunting that I know hangs out there.
As I travel down Campau Road I scan the area for anything that will move. Birds are flying here and there as the Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows sit on the telephone lines. I turn the corner and keep scanning the area. As I reach the gates I decide to turn around and head back down the road. I decided to park my car at the corner of Campau Rd and Pte Mouillee, set up my tripod and scope and waited. Like clockwork I suddenly hear the singing of the Indigo Bunting, now this becomes a waiting game to see when and where she will appear. Sudden up from the bushes in front of me she rises and lands on the support wires of the pole. I focus in, get my Coolpix ready and attach it to the scope. Unfortunately my tripod was not being cooperative, I needed to balance the tripod head and the scope with one hand and fire off shots without loosing it. Out of about 24 shots that I could get before she split I managed to get at least two good ones. Hung around a little longer to see if she would return but by that time the sun had set and it was time to go home. So til my next post.

No comments: