Friday, April 25, 2008

Wood Ducks - April 20th

Sunday morning and with day-light coming early now I head out to my usual spot around 6:30 this morning. I do this in hopes to beat the fishermen before they wake up the waters and the surrounding area - also in hopes of seeing the Eagles again. As I travel I find myself making my little spot checks to see if there is anything in any of the creeks/streams that I pass on my way. As I travel down Campau Rd. to the left is a man-made lake and swimming in it is a lonely Cormorant. Nothing in any of the other little outlets down the road. Before reaching the gates I look in the little moor to see if there is anything in there - in this moor there are a couple of duck houses and on the closest one to me I can see that there is something different about the house but I can't make out what exactly it is. I pull my vehicle up and over, park and pull out the scope and my FUJI Finepix - walking ever so slowly (so I don't upset what ever it is) I set up and take a gander. What I saw was two Wood Ducks. Grasping the moment I fired off about 24 shots. I tried to moving my scope to get in front of them but they didn't agree and they were off. I don't know what it is about this moor but after I have seen a couple of these ducks then suddenly there's like twelve. I've also seen an American Widgeon feeding here also.

Since the sun didn't want to cooperate with me this morning I decided to head home and et some chores done - if the sun comes out later and if time allows I'll be back. Just before exiting Campau Road I spot a Great Blue Heron staqnding on a log while three Mallards (2 male and 1 female) swim close by. That would have been that but then there was such a rucus that this was about all I got. Yep these guys were fighting over the dame and yes - she is in this brawl as well. Well that was pretty much my day and theirs - til my next post.










No comments: