Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Warblers at U of M Dearborn - 05/01/09

With sunny skies haunting me all day after lunch I decided to head over to U of M Dearborn and check out the sights and sounds of the nature trail. Walking the trails and the grounds of Henry Ford Estate is a relaxing walk even if you don't see anything. Unfortunately, since I'm not sure of the sounds yet I really do need to see. On entering Orchard Trail to my right there are a couple of deer grazing and watching me very closely. The trees are full of sounds with sights too far away to get a photo. As I walk to the left after leaving the trail I walk through Hickory Meadow where I come upon Burroughs Grotto and the Ford's Summer Home (The Formal Rose Garden). Just to the left of the lily pond is a goose family - mom, dad and three goslings.

As I get closer to the house a field of daffodils and forget-me-nots are to my left. Walk across the field towards the river down the Alpine Garden path where the foret-me-nots decorate the stone path way. Head through Jensen's Meadow back towards the trails and continue my walk on White Oak trail. As I come around Fairlane Lake and walk down Lakeside Trail I spotted birds darting in and out of the growth. I paused to listen so I could get a better idea of where the bird(s) had landed in the branches that surround me.

First bird I got a picture of was a Yellow-rumped Warbler, let me tell you the only time I have seen this bird has been in the fall so seeing him in black and white and bright yellow was new to me. Beautiful! By this time the birds are really moving and I managed to get shots of a Black-throated Blue Warbler, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, a Palm Warbler and a Chestnut-sided Warbler. I did see a Black-throated Green Warbler but he was too deep in the thicket for me to get a good photo. There were two Belted Kingfishers flying over the lake but I couldn't see where they landed to get a photo. There's a Northern Flicker somewhere in the trees making himself heard but not seen.

After being out here for about three hours I decide to head for home not without stopping behind the EIC and watch the birds that come to the feeders. The feeders are visited by Goldfinches, House Finches, a Chipping Sparrow, House Sparrows, Cardinals, Rose-breasted Groesbeaks, a Red-bellied Woodpecker, a Downy Woodpecker and a Blue Jay or two.

For me I call a good day - "a day I get a photo of a bird that I haven't before" - but today I got four and saw another - this was a very good day. Til my next post.

A short note: went back to U of M on Sunday and got a photo of a Black and White Warbler and a very cooperative Northern Flicker.

No comments: