Saturday, December 20, 2008

Elizabeth Park - Dec 20, 2008

Around 9:30 this morning I decided to go out and see what I could find. First I drove out to Sterling State Park hoping to see maybe one of the 150 Bald Eagles that were counted the week before. Drove all the way to where the entrance to the camp grounds are and then turned around and turned into the first cleaned road I found. I sat in my vehicle because it sure was cold. I wasn't disappointed a Bald Eagle did fly over but was just a little too far for a clear enough photo to post.

After the State Park I headed on down the road and stopped in at Pte Mouillee HQ to check out the scenery. Lake Erie is frozen, except in some areas - this is where the Sea Gulls are hanging out along with some American Coots and a Common Golden Eye. Nothing else flying around except for a few Black-capped Chickadees, a White-throated Sparrow, a House Sparrow and a female Cardinal. Further down the road are some Doves and a few Juncos, other than that very quiet.
Next stop Lake Erie Metro Park to see what can be seen and the only thing there are two deer grazing in the snow. I did take a drive down to the boat launch and along the water walls where the houses are is where you'll find the American Coots, Canadian Geese and Mallards. Closer to the boat launch Mute Swans. Next stop: Elizabeth Park.

When I got to Elizabeth Park I decided to park and check out all the geese in the stream there, who knows maybe my goose from last year would be there. With camera in hand I trudged through the knee deep snow. By the time I got to the stream the geese got a little excited and "honk - honk" they all took off in flight. While standing and watching this take-off ther was a lot more activity going on in the trees behind me. The trees were full of European Starlings and these four wonderfully colored Cedar Waxwings.
It started off as two and the longer I stayed there to take pictures a third showed up and then a fourth. When they flew off to my right I turned to follow them when something else caught my eye flying low, a Red-tailed Hawk. As I stopped to see where he landed I could hear this crying like sound, looking around all I could see was a tiny black-squirrel but no hawk. Suddenly he was off again and I watched just a little closer to see where he would land. I walked in the snow as steady as I could but it was a little difficult with it being half way to my knees. He did sit long enough for me to grab a few photos and then he was off again only to land a short distance to my left. Again I walked slowly to see if he would allow a few more pictures and he did then he was off again. He made one more stop in the trees before he went across the street to roost (not sure where) in a tree where another Hawk took off after his arrival.

After watching the other hawk take off I watched to see where she may have headed and all she did was fly over the trees that set to the back looking for food I would imagine. I made my way back to my vehicle, drove slowly through the park to see if there was anything else to catch a shot of and then headed home. Til me next post.

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: