Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another Great Day - Oct 12, 2008

The sun made it's appearance over Lake Erie at 7:38 - (the photo showing is at 7:40) what a beautiful sight. The duck hunters weren't as numerous as the day before from Campau Road, but you could hear them over at Pte Mouillee. The Pied-billed Grebes swam near the landing and the Cormorants stayed out by the Northern Causeway with the Gulls. After about an hour of sitting I decided to travel on down the road and see if there was any activity. I walked up and down for awhile and decided that much wasn't going on so it was time to move on. I had made a decision the day before that if the opportunity arose that I would take a walk around the Nature Trail across from the Marshland Museum in Lake Erie Metro Park.

Birds were flying in and out and all around so maybe this would be a good day. The first bird I came upon was the Brown Cowbird several of them flew in and out of the trees along with the Yellow-rumped Warblers. There was so much talking amongst the birds and flittering that you really didn't know where to look or what to listen for and since I haven't learned the sounds yet I kind of did both. If I heard something I listened, looked, found and then shot. While walking this trail there was one bird that kept flying overhead and I was very curious to see what it was by the end of the trail I will learn that it was a young Cedar Waxwing.
A bird moving in the tree to the left of me caught my eye, trying to be very still so not to startle it and make it leave I managed to raise my camera and snap off at least 36 shots of a White throat Sparrow. To the right of me came the tap tap tap of a Hairy Woodpecker who hung around long enought for me to grab at least 12 shots of him. Moving just a little further up the trail I found my young Cedar Waxwing, and although he/she was quite up there I did get a few shot of it. It is at this time that my memory card is registering full and I have gone around the trail twice. If you have never walked this trail it goes in a figure eight and somehow I forgot to stay to the right.

Finally out of the trail I loaded up my camera and decided to make one last stop. On the way over to Campau Road I noticed that Humbug Marsh was open today so I decided to make one quick trip. There's been quite a few transformations there and I traveled the new trails (wasn't sure if you could still take the old one). On this little jaunt I got a photo of a Hermit Thrush, a Palm Warbler and a Cedar Waxwing (also very high up in a tree).


Before I end this I want to say that I added the Wildlife Refuge to my links, check out their calendar every now and then. For instance on Saturday 10/18 is an Open House from 9 - 4 (walk the grounds on your own) and on November 8th (Jerry you'll like this one) Evening Owl Prowl at 7 p.m. Til my next post.

No comments: